Sunday, October 10, 2010

Osvaldo Critique, Saturday 10-9-10

The finished dance painting in Joe's yard. Osvaldo said because of the length it looks like a frieze, a decoration.

He then pulled it down and re-hung it. He said now, it's art, now it's about materiality, about the front and the back, about the relationship to the wall and the space around it. He said, of course the design on the front needs to be different... but this is much better. I painted over my document of dance so now it just looks like a bad dance.

"What is this scribble?" 
You should look at Cy Twombly they suggest. ugh- I hate Cy Twombly. You need to understand the difference between you and Twombly. 
"It's a record of me dancing." 
Oh, it's a performance, maybe you should make a video. 
(like camera view from under plexiglass in Pollack video David suggested) 

Osvaldo walks closer- it's three drawings!  you could call this "Three movements of dance" Yes, Kevin Richards chimes in. Titles are important, they add to the work without your presence. 
Kevin points out that although I am trying to break away from formalism, this is still a very formal drawing. It's in the classical rectangle shape, it has a classical arch, it has a classic grey scale and uses a variety of line.  It's a document of a process, but it negates itself. They said a lot of my work cancels each other out. It's trying to be one thing, but some paramenters I put on it defeat the purpose.  Kevin suggested I read the first and last essays in Derrida, The Truth in Painting. He told me to look on google books- you can download lots of free books there. Richards wrote a book called Derrida Reframed. He also suggested I read The picture in question by Mark C Taylor. He said these books will 
help me understand the idea of the frame as it pertains to Modernism.


Osvaldo liked the concept behind these pieces where I used layers and different materials. But, he said "What the fuck do I care about this cow? Why a cow? If you put Obama there, or something else, then it has meaning, but this cow, pfft." 

He liked the layers in these two but asked me to think about the imagery. He said the one above makes him think of Max Ernst because of the texture. I am still drawn to the idea of the female body in nature, specifically water. 
Osvaldo liked this better than the larger versions I made. I agree. He said why not make this three meters? It would have to be on hard paper because the canvas absorbs the paint too much. 


Ideas: I am thinking of an image of a woman's body with an aerial view of a map over it (one of my drawings). I'm also thinking about video now. What if I had a whole room of video so it looked like you were underwater and had silhouettes of figures dancing? I always dreamed I could fly and when I scuba dive I feel like I am. I need to learn video. After seeing the other artists videos yesterday and even watching a Lady Gaga video-- I'm intimidated. There's so much to learn... it's like trying to learn how to paint. I have videos of water. Is it legal to use videos found on Youtube (of people dancing?)

No comments:

Post a Comment