Friday, November 5, 2010

Thesis Statement

My work engages a synthesis of figure and landscape as a means to draw a physical connection between place and self.  It is the visual expression of an internal topography.  I think in layers and make binary associations. The transformative process of synthesizing figure and landscape in my work has led me to an internal locus of exploration.  Through a profound awareness my own body and acute sensitivity to my environment, I seek to connect the physical and metaphysical systems of the body and the earth in the work. My work evokes decay and the resilience of life. Intangible themes of spontaneity, freedom, travel and adventure as well as issues of health, security, vulnerability are significant to me. My work often incorporates the effects of time, weather and environmental conditions. The work is formed of a stratum of material and meaning which signifies emotional and physical distance.

Under the mentorship of Sharon Louden, I have been defining my visual vocabulary through smaller drawings, photography, and both mixed media and digital collages. Transparency, layers, shape and texture continue to be signifying elements in my work.  This vocabulary speaks to the landscape and the figure and consists of: aerial views, topography, dots, maps, stones, roots, oceanic phytoplankton, my body, kidneys, ovaries, cells, energy, biological systems and gestures made through dance.  I have been researching the work of Ana Mendieta, Lynda Benglis, Gerhard Richter, Sigmar Polke, Eva Hesse and Marina Abramovic.  While I do enjoy the physicality of the work, I am not interested in performing in front of an audience. In my studio, I am using this vocabulary to develop a cohesive series of collages that I will translate into large scale paintings. I have found that my work may lend itself to modular pieces and incorporates media that can include acrylic and oil paint, maps, gesso, graphite, tar and ink. My primary goal is to fully explore and translate my ideas in two dimensions before exploring other media such as installation or video.

No comments:

Post a Comment