Monday, March 29, 2010

Process...

So I'm thinking about the lite brites and aerial views.  Ran out of pegs, shattering plastic... experimenting with tapes, blocks of wood, lowering the torque, still either shatters or doesn't go all the way through or makes an irregular hole.

So, I ordered more pegs, got a new piece of plastic, some black spray paint and ordered a soldering iron. (did a some googling and someone suggests burning holes into the plastic).  Waiting for the items to come in. So happy to have off Wed-Fri to play.

Also ordered some mosaic pieces and picked up some glass tiles at Home Depot. Watched some videos on how to solder and how to make stained glass...





On the way to work today I started thinking about the material being the message and I thought hmmm, I should make a portrait of my dad out of wood and nails (since he was a carpenter) and it has the whole Jesus, sacrifice element. So I got a piece of wood from the shop teacher and printed an image of myself to practice- I didn't have any of dad.  I put two filters on it and printed it out.  I had a student paint the board black.  I asked for nails with wide heads. I planned on hammering the nail heads in and painting them white.  No wide nails at school, so Pete offered to have a couple kids hammer regular nails in for me. I said "Sure! I'll pay them in donuts!" and they proceeded to hammer nails into all of the white spaces.  This is the result of 2 boys hammering for 45 minutes... slow process.

So then I printed out a few more pics and wanted all day to project a large image and waned to watercolor it-- like the big disco ball we saw in NYC.  I decided to use black paper and silver markers instead since I was going with black and white today- just to try technique.  Here is the 20x40" "drawing" that I made today. The first image (at the top) is what it looked like while I was working on it- with the projected image.


Then I found some wood pieces and lead letters and thought about using them to make the same type of image. I may play with them too.

I also thought about saving old cd's and DVDs and painting them and mounting them large scale on four pieces of black board. Sketch here: 

And I stole a bunch of paint chip samples from Home Depot to cut apart into tiles and play with color. 
On the way home from work I became fascinated with the raindrops on my window and took a bunch of pics. Here are a few...

Overall, I was feeling very creative today. Really looking forward to the next few days off!!!

Also I REALLY had a great time in NYC! Thanks Jennie and Corey for making it happen. My favorite was the Gormley exhibit.

No comments:

Post a Comment